BSGE Policies and Procedures 2018-2019
Late arrival to class negatively impacts teaching and learning. Late arrival to class may negatively impact a student’s grade.
Students are expected to be in school by 7:50 AM and in their assigned classroom by 8AM. Students who arrive on or after 8:00 AM will be marked late and their parents will be called.
Any student that misses a day of school must return with a note explaining his or her absence. The student should give this note to his or her advisor, or Ms. Rabines in room 110.
Students who are absent are expected to complete any work missed and it is their responsibility to obtain the missed assignments from classmates.
- An unexplained absence is a student absence that the parent is not aware of or an absence not documented with a parental note, letter or email.
- An explained but not excused absence is an absence that the parent is aware of and that is documented by a parent, doctor or institution (non-DOE school, church, etc.) note. Religious ceremonies, death of a family member, entrance exams and college visits not organized by the school are examples of explained but unexcused absences; student is still marked absent.
- Excused absences are absences due to school related activities. When an absence is excused the student is marked present.Cell Phones
Students may not use cell phones during the course of the day unless authorized to do so by School Administration. Student’s cell phones must be turned off and out of sight. If a student is observed using his or her cell phone, or the phone rings or vibrates, it will be confiscated. The cell phone will be secured and the student’s parent or guardian will be required to come to school to retrieve it.
There are no exceptions to this rule.
If a student must leave school early, they cannot leave before dismissal without a parent or guardian escort. A parent who needs to pick up their child early should report to the Main Office and must have photo ID. Only individuals whose names appear on the Emergency Blue Card can pick up a student.
Electronic devices such as iPods, Game Boys, electronic books and MP3 players are not permitted in school. If a student is observed using an electronic device, it may be confiscated. If such an item is brought to school and lost or stolen, BSGE is not responsible.
Food & Drink
No food or drink is permitted above the first floor unless a staff member has made special arrangements. The only beverage that students may drink in class is water in plastic bottles.
Glass containers are not permitted in the building.
Hats and Dress
To maintain a positive educational environment, it is important that a certain standard of dress be maintained.
- Students may not wear hats or head gear in the building. (Religious observance and health-related head wear is exempted, with appropriate documentation submitted to your guidance counselor.)
- Undergarments must not be visible.
- No bare midriffs on boys or girls.
- Boys, no sleeveless white undershirts worn as shirts or tank tops and no muscle shirts.
- Pants may be baggy, but not falling down. Underwear should not be visible while standing or sitting.
- No brief garments such as tube tops, net tops, halter tops, tank tops, spaghetti straps, plunging necklines (front and/or back), strapless or see-through garments.
- Shorts and skirts should be at mid-thigh or lower, no shorter than 4” above the knee. Guideline: The length should be at your fingertips when your arms are extended straight down.
- Spandex shorts, pants or leggings must be worn with an outer garment that reaches fingertip length.
In addition, a student may not attend classes dressed in a manner that is offensive to other members of the BSGE community including:
- Items that are vulgar, obscene, and libelous, or denigrate others on account of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or disability.
- Promotion or endorsement of the use of alcohol, tobacco, or illegal drugs, and/or encouragement of other illegal or violent activities.
- Students in violation of the dress code may be required to purchase BSGE gym shorts or a BSGE t-shirt.